[Dixielandjazz] Jo Stafford

AL LEVY jazz_man at ix.netcom.com
Tue May 30 18:19:18 PDT 2006

A week ago I wrote:
Jo Stafford  had FOUR careers going.
1) Jo Stafford
2) Cinderella ...
3) Darlene Edwards -
4} I know, but do you?
===== No one responded
I gave these hints:Forecast of a jazz group yet to happen,
The dream of a standup bass player, So far as I know
4 sides were released on 78rpm and Symphony Sid played
one of these all the time.
==========
Answer: Dave Lambert (bass) dreamed of having a vocal choir.
"Lambert, Hendricks and Ross" yet to happen.
I can't remember all the titles but he recorded 4 acapella
tunes, the one I cherished was "Hawaian War Chant".
All the tunes were sung BeBopishly.
Jo Stafford sang with the group and was called Jolly Jo.
They even recorded one tune by that name as a sub-title.
I believ the label was Columbia. The year (?) 1948 or 1949.
Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com