[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival Write-Up

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue May 30 11:12:45 PDT 2006

Yeah Pat, I hear you. ;-) VBG

My feet are in poor shape and I can't walk more than a half mile or so at a
time without pain. Nor can I stand and play, without foot pain, having to
use a stool these days. I also do not go to Festivals or venues where I have
to walk. Nor would I go to hear multiple bands etc.  And, there are just a
few performers that I go out of my way to see/hear these days.

The Showboat gig was all I could do physically and I must admit the forced
exercise helped me to overcome some physical limitations, which is one
reason I did it.

These days, I still gig a lot, but demand close parking, help with carrying
my sound system and chairs for the band. It takes courage to grow old and
remain active. :-) VBG.

The neat thing about our "young people gigs" is they they offer such help,
can't do enough for us and make sure we are comfortable when playing for
them. At University of Pennsylvania this Friday, they will carry all our
gear, watch our cars while unloading and help us park. All the while calling
us "sir" and being genuinely glad we are there. One of my older friends upon
seeing this and hearing the applause and cheers, last month asked the band
members; "How do you handle all this adulation from the kids?" It doesn't
get any better than that, believe me.

On the other hand, I'll drive 250 miles round trip to a venue where I can
sit and hear folks like Davern, Randy Reinhart, Ed Metz, Evan Christopher
and the other "next level up" jazz musicians at a club date, or jazz society
gig. They are on the cutting edge of "here and now Dixieland" and by
listening to them, one can still learn.

Pet peeve? Folks who ask me why I wear "soft' shoes to gigs instead of
snappy dress shoes.

Why indeed? . . . "Because my feet hurt, don't look at them if they offend
you!"

Cheers,
Steve Barbone