[Dixielandjazz] Re: All Good Things Come To An End

Charlie Hull charlie at easysounds.com
Sun May 28 20:11:06 PDT 2006

The repartee about unions reminds me of an event related to Sacramento's
Dixieland Jazz Jubilee.

A lot of us players were long-time union members, and a lot were
non-union but very good players, and most bands were a mix of union and
non. The Jubilee originator and Director, Bill Borcher (RIP) and the
then-President of Local 12 , Tom Kenny (RIP) had a hand-shake agreement
whereby the Jubilee paid the union several thousand dollars in 'work
dues' without any statistical rresearch or support. The union was
probably getting more than it would have if all that paperwork had been
done.

Some place in Florida wanted to start a jazz festival but didn't know
how to handle the work dues situation, so they called the International
in New York, who then called Local 12 to ask for a copy of the contract
with the Jazz Jubilee. The President told them that there was no
contract; just a verbal agreement whereby the union collected a lot more
that they could with contracts.

New York sent their goons to Sacramento to tell them how the cookie
crumbles and how this Jubilee was going to be run by union rules from
now on or they were going to shut it down. The union president called a
special meeting at the union hall, the grapevine passed the word, and
the place was SRO with Jubilee musicians. The New York reps said that
henceforth, until there was a satisfactory contract, no union music
would be permitted to play in the Jubilee.

To a man, the musicians jumped to their feet shouting, "No problem! The
we'll quit the union!"

That was the end of the meeting. The reps went back to NY with their
mission unaccomplished.

As for the work dues, we leaders now submit to the Jubilee a list of our
personnel with an indication of which are union musicians and their
union local affiliations. Nominal work dues are sent to the stated
locals, and I seriously doubt that they're getting anywhere near the
amounts they were receiving under the informal 'gentlemens' agreement.

Power to the people!

We get forty bucks each for a 70-minute set and most bands get six to
eight sets. The leader gets a few bucks extra. This will start a new
thread about exploitation of musicians and how we should refuse to play
unless we get big bucks and perks, but for the majority of us, that
ain't what the Jubilee is about. The joy of seeing our old (and getting
older) friends from around the world, hearing and jamming with them, and
playing to appreciative audiences who came with one purpose in mind; to
enjoy TKOM (their kind -- same as OKOM) and reunite with fellow jazz
fans, is priceless. The Sacramento Jazz Jubilee is barely hanging on due
to the overhead and the limits on the amount you can charge (mostly
senior) people to attend the event. They have scaled back significantly
in the number of performance sites and have dropped the number of
participating bands, especially foreign bands. If they don't break even
this year, it could be the last one.

The professionals will be telling us we should strike and demand a
living wage, but I'm not about to help kill the event, which has brought
me much fun and many beautiful friendships over the many years.

Believe me; nobody is getting rich off this event, but many lives have
been ENriched.

Charlie Hull