[Dixielandjazz] Rock with a Conservative Message????

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu May 25 06:30:31 PDT 2006

Well, who among us would have said an article like this would have ever
appeared in that Conservative Icon Magazine, "The National Review" ?

Music with a message? Nah, we music experts all know that Rock is mindless
trash. :-) VBG

Musical content? "How Little We Know Dear". ;-) VBG

For the Full Top 50 list, e mail me directly. Below is just the first 3
choices.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Conservative Top 50 Rock Songs

NY Times - May 25, 2006

Following is National Review's list of its top 50 conservative rock songs,
with the magazine's explanations of its choices.

1. "Won't Get Fooled Again," by The Who.
The conservative movement is full of disillusioned revolutionaries; this
could be their theme song, an oath that swears off naive idealism once and
for all. "There's nothing in the streets / Looks any different to me / And
the slogans are replaced, by‹the‹bye. . . . Meet the new boss / Same as the
old boss." The instantly recognizable synthesizer intro, Pete Townshend's
ringing guitar, Keith Moon's pounding drums, and Roger Daltrey's wailing
vocals make this one of the most explosive rock anthems ever recorded ‹ the
best number by a big band, and a classic for conservatives.

2. "Taxman," by The Beatles.
A George Harrison masterpiece with a famous guitar riff (which was actually
played by Paul McCartney): "If you drive a car, I'll tax the street / If you
try to sit, I'll tax your seat / If you get too cold, I'll tax the heat / If
you take a walk, I'll tax your feet." The song closes with a humorous jab at
death taxes: "Now my advice for those who die / Declare the pennies on your
eyes."

3. "Sympathy for the Devil," by The Rolling Stones.
Don't be misled by the title; this song is "The Screwtape Letters" of rock.
The devil is a tempter who leans hard on moral relativism ‹ he will try to
make you think that "every cop is a criminal / And all the sinners saints."
What's more, he is the sinister inspiration for the cruelties of Bolshevism:
"I stuck around St. Petersburg / When I saw it was a time for a change /
Killed the czar and his ministers / Anastasia screamed in vain."