[Dixielandjazz] Jonathan Russell's Brand New CD

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed May 24 20:21:42 PDT 2006

Been listening to 10 year old Jonathan Russell's first CD. Actually he is 11
now, but was 10 when the CD was recorded. It is professionally done.

It will be available at CD Baby in a week or so and his Dad will put a link
to the CD on Jonathan's website shortly for those who buy direct.
http://www.jonathanjazz.com

Jonathan "Jazz" Russell - The Sheik of Araby -
Recorded April 14 & 15 2006, Peter Karl Studios, Brooklyn NY.
copyright 2006 Jonathan Russell

1)  Dinah
2)  Yellow Dog Blues
3)  Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby
4)  Memories of You
5)  Sheik Of Araby
6)  God Bless The Child
7)  Oh Lady Be Good
8)  Bei Mir Bist du Schoen
9)  Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans
10) Indiana
11) San

Personnel:

Jonathan Russell - Violin;  Ed Polcer - Cornet;  Mark Shane - Piano;  Mike
Weatherly - Double Bass; Kevin Dorn - Drums.

His "sidemen" (all very well known/respected here in the Eastern USA, if not
nationally or internationally) are to be commended for doing a superb job
with him. They all put a lot of thought into how the songs were to be done.
What better thing is there than encourage and showcase the young, to pass
the music on?

He VOCALIZES in his neat falsetto voice, Sheik, Is You Is, Indiana . . .

He TRADES 8s, 4s, and 2s with the sidemen . . .

He plays MELODY . . .

He plays COUNTERPOINT . . .

He IMPROVISES . . .

He SWINGS . . .

He PLAYS JAZZ . . .

ALL AT 10 . . . WOW.

Buy it now and hear his growing jazz vocabulary. It is sure to become a
collectors item and you'll be tangibly helping a young artist develop.

Here's the latest from his mom about his arm problem:
-----
"We are in Physical Therapy twice a week- went for the first time yesterday,
and we go again tomorrow. he's happy because I pull him out of school to go,
and that usually means he misses sex-ed. We haven't ruled out the NJ jazz
fest yet- the PT said she'd know more next week, and he sees the doctor
again next Wed. Meanwhile he is doing some left hand work and ear training."
-----
On my end, I've got some gigs for him in July if he is back playing. One on
the Riverfront in Wilmington DE July 4 where they SPECIFICALLY ASKED if we
could make him available again. When he was 9 and played there, he got fan
emails from young girls in the audience of 5000, as well as presents.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone