[Dixielandjazz] Improving on the originals ( Monk)

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue May 23 16:57:50 PDT 2006

I won't text the whole file - just click:
http://www.counterpoint-music.com/specialties/interview.html
Jonathan & Darlene Edwards Talk!
> The Edwardses credit their special talent to having roots in
> Trenton, New Jersey -- removed as it is from the restraining
> contemporary mainstream -- and to Darlene's late start in show
> business. While Jonathan had played cocktail-lounge piano for years
> in their home state and was thoroughly schooled in the nuances of
> popular music, his wife waited until their children had grown and
> moved out of the family home before singing professionally. It was
> no simple matter, of course, for such a unique musical vision as
> the Edwardses' to endure until discovery, and the Edwardses freely
> acknowledge that their patrons, Paul Weston and Jo Stafford, share
> equal credit for their success. The Edwardses, in fact, still
> reside at the Westons' home in Century City, where we met...

much more follows.

there are many transcriptions of other interviews with Jo Stafford
and she seems proud of Darlene, but there seems to be much less about
Cinderella G. Stump...

I have several LPs and that CD reissue and play them on my show every
once in a while. Audience reaction is usually favorable or confused -
especially if I also play Jo as Jo or Cinderella.

Dave Richoux