[Dixielandjazz] It's Right Here For You

Bruce Stangeland stangeland at earthlink.net
Mon May 22 21:56:38 PDT 2006

Craig,

I found a reference to "It's Right Here For You" at:
http://www.bluesrolls.com/Blues_A-J.html

This site is selling an old piano roll of this tune. The photo of the label
says:

--------------------------------------
MelODee
Song roll.
S2948
"It's Right Here For You

Fox trot Key F

Bradford
Played by Eubie Blake
---------------------------------------

137341 It's Right Here For You played by Eubie Blake $12
(originally issued on Mel-O-Dee S2948 / Feb. 1921) - lyric sheet included
with roll

137342 War Bride Blues played by Eubie Blake $12
(originally issued on Mel-O-Dee S2961 / March 1921) - lyric sheet included
with roll

Here are a couple of neat Eubie Blake rolls. It's Right Here For You (If You
Don't Get It, 'Tain't No Fault Of Mine) is a 1920 tune by the famous black
composer Perry Bradford (what a great subtitle!).

===================
Another site:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009PJST/102-8884403-7448945?v=glance&n=5
174

has a sound clip from Eubie Blake's recording of this song. The melody
matches the one in Anderson's collection.

===================
Another site:   http://www.opus3records.com/track/19404.html
describes a CD by the Swedish Jazz Kings. Track 10 is "It's Right Here For
You" by (P.Bradford)

====================

Another site:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142365/soundtrack
describes the sountrack for "Here Comes The Bridesmaid" (1928),
including "It's Right Here for You" by Perry Bradford Sung by Janet Adair

====================
The website for Riverwalk discusses Blues singers and says at:

http://www.riverwalk.org/JMN/Archive/html/JMN5_01_03.htm

'Mamie Smith (1883-1946) was the first woman to record blues songs in 1920
with her versions of Perry Bradford's "Crazy Blues," and "It's Right Here
for You" on Okeh Records. "

This suggests that Bradford must have written his song no later than 1920.
=====================

The American Big Bands database also mentions Mamie Smith's recording.
http://nfo.net/usa///b8.html

"On Jan. 1920, Mamie Smith recorded Bradford's "That Thing Called Love", and
a few months later, she recorded his "Crazy Blues". Perry wrote a number of
other songs including, "It's Right Here For You," "I'll Be Ready When the
Great Day Comes," and "Lonesome Blues."

However, other references on the web list other composers.

One source:
http://www.letrs.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/hoagyrec-idx.pl?type=viewfull&q1=CAV060
1&q2=&display=full

discusses the Hoagy Carmichael Collection at Indiana University.
Included on one disc is "It's right here for ya" / Dickerson, Delledna