[Dixielandjazz] Urbie Green's 21 trombones

Dick Miller Dick_Miller at pmug.org
Mon May 22 13:48:51 PDT 2006

I have a copy of the first in this series of recordings. Here's the info:

Title: Twenty-one Trombones
Label: Project 3 PR5014SD
Tunes: Here’s That Rainy Day, The Look of Love, What Now My Love, If He
Walked Into My Life, Because of You, You Only Live Twice, Stardust, Blue
Again, Watch What Happens, Stars Fell on Alabama, Without a Song,
Something You Got
Personnel: Urbie Green + 20 others not named - trombone; Tony Mottola,
Barry Galbraith, Al Casamenti, Bucky Pizzarelli - guitar; George Duvivier
- bass; Grady Tate, Bobby Rosengarden, Phil Kraus - drums, percussion

If anyone's interested, it's for sale at $6 plus postage from Portland,
OR. I've also got volume three in the series (The Persuasive Trombone of
Urbie Green, vol. 3), and a half a dozen other Urbie Green LPs for sale at
the same price.

I heard him perform once, when I was a HS teacher in NYC and he came to do
a clinic with the kids in the school band and give a performance in the
evening. I've always admired his playing, but what blew me away was the
apparent ease with which he produced that great music. Made me want to go
home and take a sledge hammer to the old Bach. :-)

--Dick Miller