[Dixielandjazz] Ivy League Jazz

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sun May 21 21:30:23 PDT 2006

Don Mopsick wrote:

>Riverwalk is working on a show about Jazz in the Ivy Leagues in the
>1950s. The show will also include info about other college bands of the
>era, the Salty Dogs, and the Salt City Six.
>
>If anyone here is particularly well-versed in this subject, please email
>me privately. mophandl at landing.com We are in search of background
>information on the college jazz movement of those days. Also, any
>information on the Eddie Condon Carnegie Hall concert that featured the
>Tigertown Five, Dartmouth Indian Chiefs, Williams College Spring Street
>Stompers, Brown Brunotes, etc.?  What was the date of the concert, how
>did it come to be, who organized it, etc.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>mopo
>
>Don Mopsick, Riverwalk Webmaster

Add the Boll Weavels out of Univ. of Michigan. Had the late Frank Powers
on Clarinet, John Teachout, Doc Shanahan, others, some gone
some  still with us. I add this because Michigan has been long called
the "Ivy League School of the Midwest," and if Purdue's Salty Dogs
count, then an this band should also. (Personally I think Michigan's
claim is bogus, but then I went to Michigan State along with Joan
Reynolds of the
Red Rose Jazz Band.)
Don Ingle