[Dixielandjazz] Brubeck

Laurence Swain l.swain at comcast.net
Sat May 20 20:54:16 PDT 2006

Larry Walton wrote:

    A good example of someone breaking the rules and
    creating new forms which by the way sadly didn't catch on was Dave
    Brubeck.  His "Take 5" and the other tunes on that album were
    groundbreaking and also rule breaking.

I'm a chamber-music lover.

Among my favortie forms of chamber music are small OKOM ensembles (7, 8 players, or
so) and "classical" string trios, quartets, quintets -- and on up.

OKOM is something I fell for in the revival period of the late 40's and early 50's, when I
put together my first little Dixie combo while in high school (me on pianner).

But, even though bebop and "progressive" stuff never appealed to me, the Brubeck
combo back tehn blew me away when I first heard it and I, like millions of others, still love
to hear his stuff.

So please know, that I was, as perhaps you were, blown away by Dave's playing flawless
RAGTIME on the PBS -TV special on jazz (name of the series escapes me right now).

His playing was magnificent! Never-to-be-forgotten!

Whatta guy!

May he live forever (at least longer than me -- which he already has).

Larry  Swain