[Dixielandjazz] Re: Correct spelling

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Fri May 19 13:02:19 PDT 2006

On 5/19/2006 6:27:31 AM, Bill Haesler (bhaesler at bigpond.net.au) wrote:
> All references I have (except Anderson) give the spelling for each of the
> above as "Bye".
> Kind regards,
> Bill.

As I keep pointing out. One must verify things like title spellings and
record citations in "Anderson". Some of the tunes have pretty sloppy research
when it comes to those aspects. Record citations are sufficiently wrong in some cases
to indicate the copyist never listened to the records cited. They had the same title
but were different tunes by a different composer. Example of one I just discovered:

On the Anderson copy of the tune: "Blue Because of You" by Geo. Thiery (L) &
Miner McEuen (m) 1934 the record citations are for:
Earl Hines Orch.                (1940)  - Bluebird 10835
Fats Waller & His Rhythm  (1935)  - Bluebird 10322
However, those 2 recordings are of a totally different tune by the same name written by
Quinn Wilson, Charles Carpenter & Louis M. Dunlap

By the way, this latter tune was also recorded by Lionel Hampton's "Hampton Rhythm Boys"
July 17 1940 & Nat King Cole's "King Cole Trio" - around same time?
Helen Humes in 1971,

Craig Johnson
The Maine Street Paraders