[Dixielandjazz] Re: Correct spelling

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri May 19 03:27:31 PDT 2006

> What is the correct spelling of the traditional tune:
By and by      or     Bye and bye?<

Dear Gerard,
Knowing your vast knowledge of our music, I suspect that this may be a trick
question.
8>)

*"In The Sweet Bye and Bye" (1902. Harry Von Tilzer, music - Vincent Bryan,
lyrics)
  In the sweet bye an' bye
  We shall meet on that beautiful shore
  In the sweet bye an' bye
  We shall meet on that beautiful shore.

*"Bye and Bye [When The Morning Comes]" (1906. Charles Albert Tindley)
This one often gets labelled 'Traditional'.

*"Bye and Bye" (1924. Pease - Nelson - Vincent)
This one was recorded by Fletcher Henderson in Jan 1925 with a great
half-chorus and coda from Louis.)

*"Bye and Bye" (1925. Richard Rogers, music - Lorenz Hart, lyrics).
Featured in the Broadway Musical 'Dearest Enemy'.

I also have a reference to a "Bye and Bye' in the Broadway show 'George
White's Scandals of !922' which needs a bit more research.

All references I have (except Anderson) give the spelling for each of the
above as "Bye".
Kind regards,
Bill.