[Dixielandjazz] Preservation ? Creativity? Rule # 1

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Thu May 18 23:45:16 PDT 2006

Tom Wood said:

["SNIP

I reiterate that to a certain extent we are playing for what our "Joe Public" wants to hear (although we still control the situation) rather than what politically correct jazz fans and other musicians consider we should play or not play.  I think I said once before on this list that our best sales for CDs are to "Joe Public" NOT jazz fans.  We will play WWW and perhaps Hello Dolly at the Mardi Graz in Edinburgh again this year and try to beat our 2003 (125 sales to tourists) record for this one gig.  The public like to hear it so what is wrong with trying to capitalise on this.

I must admit however, I am having difficulty getting Midnight in Moscow and Samantha onto our playing sets this year..

SNIP

Tom (jazzman rather than musician) Wood

Sydney Zenith JB"]

Chuckle. Never a truer word. I snuck 'Hello Dolly" onto the play list for our new Morton Bay Jazzband, led by Derek Capewell up here in Brissy, at our regular weekly gig at an Indian restaurant - Don't ask, but I do listen to people on this list when they say we should look for alternative gigs. Guess what tune was requested by the kitchen staff this week?  Also no Goon Show jokes please, although it is true that the band always finishes the evening with some very fine Balti Indian cuisine!

And by far the most applauded solos with my own band, The Southern Bay Stompers, are those taken on penny whistle or kazoo. Plus anything sung by the frontline in barbershop harmony. I don't try to figure it. We just oblige. I compensate slightly with educative announcements. Wink!

Best,

Grah

Graham Martin
REDLAND BAY