[Dixielandjazz] Preservation ? Creativity? Rule # 1

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu May 18 15:06:35 PDT 2006

Well there are some rules and copying wasn't what I was talking about.  But
staying in the lines which are staying in the form and doing jazz that is
appropriate to the style seems to be OK to me.  When someone starts playing
free form for example in the middle of a Trad tune it's inappropriate but by
the same token it might be a kick ass solo in that form.  Then I really
haven't heard many trumpet players doing solos as a tuba player does them.

Don't bother me with all this free love stuff.  If you didn't play within
the rules you simply wouldn't have been in music this long.  Experimentation
and Jazz go hand in hand and I'm sure that the first solos did sound
presumptuous.  People liked what they heard so it caught on.

Creating a new form is different than mindlessly breaking rules because you
think it's cute.  A good example of someone breaking the rules and creating
new forms which by the way sadly didn't catch on was Dave Brubeck.  His
"Take 5" and the other tunes on that album were groundbreaking and also rule
breaking.  The only other "popular" works that I can think of right now is
J.C. Superstar that used a lot of unusual rhythms.

You follow rules such as more or less uniform tempos,  standard keys, forms
such as AABA,   Now break those three in a string of tunes and you won't
have an audience except for the drunk at the end of the bar who doesn't know
you are just trying out the latest key from Afghanistan and are in 5 and you
aren't using a form.  So don't make me tired with all this I don't follow
rules stuff.

Having said that I will repeat - a musician can stay within a style and
create music that everyone will enjoy that is different each time.  The
Bobcat illustration is a good one I think.

At least you and I agree that we shouldn't copy someone else.  How boring it
would be if every Artist painted the same picture over and over even if the
original artist is yourself.
Larry
St. Louis