[Dixielandjazz] Playing Songs Mad Famous By Others

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Thu May 18 12:48:51 PDT 2006

Harold;

Among the many trad jazz fans I know few demand a replication of the
original recording. Many, on the other hand, use the original recording as a
basis to compare as well as marvel at what jazz is - original conceptions of
the same music by different musicians.

My wife, who doesn't have the interest in jazz which I do, sometimes
complains when I play several different versions of the same tune. Her view
is of the tune - mine is of the performance. Most people share my wife's
viewpoint and there are many bands who's goal is to emulate the original
recorded performances. As we all know, many bands drifted away from their
recorded performances when playing in public. There's the legend that Artie
Shaw walked off the bandstand at a dance date when someone complained to him
that the band didn't sound like the recording.

I, obviously, agree with you, Harold. I'm also certain that most if not all
DJMLers also agree.

Stan
Stan Brager