[Dixielandjazz] Re: The "Jazz" Police

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu May 18 09:12:31 PDT 2006

Do you think that the mania to hear something that's just the same may
account for the DJ phenomena?  I can understand that DJ's were cheaper than
bands in the early days but that's no longer true very often.  I think that
it's the need to be "safe" and "conservative".  There are a lot of people
that resist and can't do change.  This may be the driving force behind some
political parties.  Just keep life the same seems to be the theme.  If
everything's the same then you don't have to adapt or think much.

Young people who are essentially blank slates for a few years pick up on
music that disgusts the "older" generation.  As we get older (did I say we
are getting older?) we are less likely to like what this group that are in
the "window" like.  The older we get causes more and more of these window's
to close behind us.

I think most musicians are fairly open to something different, to a point.

There are other factors too.  One of which is you must listen to Jazz of any
kind.  Most people just want noise going on.  My mother was like that.  She
had to have a radio playing all the time.  She couldn't stand silence but
wasn't listening to it either.  Another, and possibly poorer example, was my
dog.  She was happy as a lark if nothing changed but one day I parked my
truck in the back yard and she went crazy.  The same thing happened when I
brought a tire into the house.  She just couldn't stand it.  I had disturbed
her life and her sense of what went where.

Jazz requires thinking and more importantly listening.  This is an
interaction between the artist and the listener and by definition is going
to be different each time it's performed.

I think that if you get this kind of comment you are doing your job.

It took me a while to realize that it was preferable to not play what the
other guy was playing or even matching his style.  When I figured it out I
was able to reach further and jazz became more satisfying to me and I think
make it more interesting to the audience.  If there was another soloist in
the tune I might contrast  what he just played for example if he was being
frantic playing zillions of notes I might play laid back and cool.  If he
was laid back and cool I might throw in a bump and grind version.  Copying
what the other guy does degrades Jazz somewhat and if you aren't as good as
the other guy trying to match him will just lead to a cutting contest and
end in disaster.  It's better to do what you do well..

Pat said:
>>>Preservation and creativity seem to have a problem coexisting.  It
>>>depends on what you want to do (or are able to do) best.  If one leans
>>>more to the creative side, the creativity will be hard to contain and
>>>preservation will suffer.

Preservation shouldn't suffer as long as you are in the style and are
abiding by the rules of the style.  If you are playing traditional Dixieland
and interject the most original best 1950's or smooth jazz solo that exists
you will be mucking it up because it isn't appropriate.  Romping into swing
is the same thing although because they are closer in time is somewhat more
acceptable to my ear.  The point is, If the old guys were playing original
licks (within their style) then if we play in the style why can't we play
original licks too?  That's the difficulty that we younger (than 100 )
musicians face.  After hearing swing my whole life and playing with early
rock bands then switching to society music and big band jazz it becomes
extremely difficult to play originally in this style which has more rules.
My hat is off to the guy (or lady) who can preserve this jazz and still be
original and creative.