[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 41, Issue 27

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed May 17 12:54:03 PDT 2006

"Jim Kashishian" <jim at kashprod.com>

Steve Barbone wrote (snipped)
> As an aside, the type of audience reaction described is precisely the reason
> that I (clarinetist) don't play Petete Fleur, or Burgundy Street Blues, or
> Stranger on The Shore
> Steve Barbone

Kash answered
> Precisely the reason to play those tunes.  Let people here different
> versions.  Tell them they're gonna here a different version if it's a worry.
>
> I see some looks of surprise on people's faces when I sing What a Wonderful
> World without using a "gravely" voice.  Then, they just sit back & enjoy the
> song that they love.
>
> I do Moonlight Serenade without trying to imitate the Tommy Dorsey style on
> the 'bone.  Everyone still grabs their partner & "sway to the swing".  We do
> Georgia on My Mind without imitating Ray Charles, etc.
>
> Most people just enjoy hearing tunes they recognize, even if the style is
> different.

Yes, I agree completely. Everything we play is recognized by the audience.
Point I was making is that narrow minded fans will dislike a tune made
famous (or "owned" by) a past musician. Armstrong being a bit different
because he made about 500 tunes famous. We all do his tunes.

They will frequently say something like "That's not the way to play trad
jazz", or a specific song or what ever. Those of us who play to people who
do not have those hang ups about a right way, or a wrong way to play jazz
and/or Dixieland are very fortunate in avoiding self appointed "experts".

Boy, I wish a had a dollar for every time some "trad expert" came up to me
and bitched about the fact that we played "If I Were A Bell". Usually saying
something like "Harumph, I didn't know that was jazz." You can imagine my
reply concerning that person's jazz education.

So I avoid Burgundy Street Blues in order not to berate some poor fool who
is bound to come up and say: "Harumph, that ain't the way George Lewis
played it." Well, no s*** Sherlock.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone