[Dixielandjazz] Re: George Girard and the Basin Street Six

patcooke77 at yahoo.com patcooke77 at yahoo.com
Wed May 17 08:09:26 PDT 2006

As far as I know, all the tracks recorded under the name "Basin St. Six" had  Girard, Fountain, Joe Rotis on bone, Bunny Franks on bass, Charlie Duke on drums, and Roy Zimmerman on piano.  If you can email me one of those pictures, I can identify them for you.  I knew every one playing in town at that time.
After Pete and George left Phil Zito, Bunny Franks put together the Basin St Six using the above personnel.  George was such a phenomenal player---he would try things that seemed just too tough for anyone to make, but he always executed perfectly everything he tried.  I heard the band many times, and I never heard him fluff a note.
     The Six was a co-op band, with Bunny Franks as the nominal leader.  When Bunny came down with the mumps, and I got the call to sub with the band for about 3 weeks while he recovered.  It was an exciting 3 weeks.  The band was very popular around town, and worked a lot of gigs.  They always attracted a good crowd.  I'm surprised they never made it as big as the Dukes did.  I guess it was probably that some of the guys were older with families, and didn't want to travel.
     Thanks to Don for the discography.  I only have two CDs by the Six, and I can't even remember which ones they are; but I'll look for the others.  Everything I salvaged from hurricane Katrina is packed away in storage until I can get more or less permanently settled somewhere.  I lost all my vinyls, but there are over 500 CDs in storage.

     Pat Cooke
     New Orleans