[Dixielandjazz] Re: Organ Grinder Swing

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon May 15 22:13:08 PDT 2006

Dear Steve and all,
Several days ago, here in Sydney, one of our historic churches caught fire
and its 126-year-old organ was completely destroyed. A great loss.
Our daily Sydney Morning Herald reported yesterday that an environmental
lobby wants all traditional organs (which they claim contain 30 to 75 per
cent lead) phased out because of the risk that church fires may spew poisons
into the environment.
The Lead Group, which is committed to ending all use of the metal, wants new
European Union laws severely restricting lead in electrical equipment,
including lead pipe organs, to be replicated in Australia. Elizabeth
O'Brien, president of the Lead Group, said lead could escape when an organ
was burst or repaired: "The risk is real."
Britain's Salisbury Cathedral recently told 'The Times' in London that the
laws may force it to replace its organ with a piano.
A spokesman for the New South Wales state government Department of
Environment and Conservation said that although it was not considered a
significant issue they planned to look at the EU laws .
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Kind regards,
Bill.