[Dixielandjazz] Tulane Commencement Muisc

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun May 14 17:18:01 PDT 2006

David Richoux <tubaman at tubatoast.com> wrote

> From the clip I heard on the radio, the band was playing "Joe Avery"
> at the end - according to an Associated Press story it was a band led
> by Dr. Michael White.

The various press reports said that there was "lots" of Dixieland played
during commencement exercises.

As an aside, Dr. White and his band will be at the JVC Jazz Festival in NYC
again this summer alongside all those modern cats.

I've been monitoring the Dixieland/Swing press for 5 years now and there has
been an increase in the number of articles about this kind of music during
that time. Other interesting events this summer include:

A New Orleans Night at the Hollywood Bowl, A New Orleans tribute at JVC in
New York (in addition to Michael White's Band) Dirty Dozen as well as the
New Orleans Jazz Vipers at Lincoln Center, Dr. John at River to River Fest
in NYC, Woody Allen's N.O. Jazz Band at Rochester Jazz Festival,
Preservation Hall at JVC Newport R.I., and Allen Toussaint as well as the
Neville Brothers at Montreal Jazz Festival.

There seems to be a lot of OKOM going on in the USA these days in major
league venues as well as the usual venues.

Cheers,
Steve