[Dixielandjazz] Gig opportunity in Peidmont / Montclair District ofOakland.

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri May 12 06:17:04 PDT 2006

on 5/12/06 12:02 AM, Jim O'Briant at jobriant at garlic.com wrote:

> Steve Barbone wrote:
>
>> Rats, if we'd
>> stayed there I might have a gig. :-) VBG
>
> Not if you want to play trad jazz.  They want nothing to do with OKOM --
> just modern "straight ahead" jazz.  Wouldn't even accept a CD to audition.

We use a "fit in" strategy. Like calling what we do straight ahead and then
doing "Modern Dixieland". There are many ways to out flank dug in defenders
or outflank the jazz police.

That's how we get our gigs at Modern Jazz Festivals, from other venues who
want straight ahead, and from folks who want background jazz etc. But what
we play at all these venues is polyphonic counterpoint and except perhaps
for Gerry Mulligan, (and I'm not sure about him) that's Dixieland.

Trad jazz? That can be anything from ODJB or NORK to Dizzy & Bird. More of
us might consider what Gary Kiser does, and play a few Monk tunes as well as
all those Pop/Dance tunes from the 20's.

Like Eddie Condon wrote; "We called it music."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone