[Dixielandjazz] RE: woke up this morning

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Tue May 9 22:25:42 PDT 2006

     We seem to be getting into the realms of extremely tenuous
relationships to OKOM with these messages about blues (especially
'white man blues', an obvious oxymoron), but i can't help thinking
about the comedian Robert Klein's blues-song "I Can't Stop My Leg"
(which you really had to see for the full enjoyment):

"Robert Klein & The SNL Band perform "I Can't Stop My Leg"

.....Robert Klein
[ open on Robert Klein standing on stage before the SNL Band. He's
dressed in jeans, with a red bandana tied around his head. ]

Robert Klein: Give me some blues!

[ the SNL Band plays some blue sounds behind Klein, as he repeatedly
raises and stomps his right leg to the beat. He raises a harmonica
and maintains a rhythm with the band before singing the solo. ]

Robert Klein: [ singing ]
"I can't stop my leg!
I can't stop my leg, babe!
I can't stop my leg!
I can't stop my leg, pretty babe."

[ harmonica ]

"Can you stop my leg?"

[ the band strikes a beat, as Klein stills his leg on the stage ]

"My leg stopped!
Woo-hoo, thank the Lord.
I want to thank the Lord for stoppin' my leg.
Woo-hoo, yeah!"

[ his leg begin stomping again, as the band accompanies the beat ]

"There it goes again!
There, there it goes again!
There, there, there it goes
There it goes again..!"

[ SUPER: "Invisible Japanese Teen-age Albino Bedwetters In Mail-Order
Underwear" ]
[ fade ]"
(http://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/75eleg.phtml)

     Why am i plagued with the thought of the 'yuppie' blues, based on
the psychological devastation resulting from coming home and
discovering that you're out of Brie?  Surely there's a
dixieland-variant of that song . . .

     Dan

--
**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind
**     is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but
**    the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."  --  Dave Barry