[Dixielandjazz] Re: Phil Napoleon (was Jackie Gleason Show)

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Tue May 9 10:46:21 PDT 2006

Bill Haesler wrote:

>Dear Will,
>Thank you for your kind, but undeserved support.
>Jazz is my life-long love and includes musicians like Phil Napoleon.
>Could the Œincredible trombonist¹ you can¹t recall be Jerry Gorman, who was
>with Preacher Rollo¹s band (and bassist Al Mattucci) in Miami in the 50s?
>Kind regards,
>Bill.

Well, there yo go again, Bill! Dropping Preacher Rollo's name.
He took the place of Freddie Kohlman at Jazz LTd. In Chicago when I was
on the band; in turn he was replaced by Barrett Deems.
Interesting guy. Played with some serious physical problems that he had
overcome and was a pretty fair
drummer for a short term replacement. He went back to Florida as I
remember. He was from somewhere in WI along the River...one of the
French towns if memeory serves -- though I am getting to realize that at
my age memory is not infallible.
I so seldom hear his name mentioned - even here -- that your "name
dropping"was good to hear.
Don Ingle