[Dixielandjazz] Pete Fountain performance at N.O. J & H Festival

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon May 8 17:21:04 PDT 2006

Below is snipped from a long article on the Festival and Fats Domino who
cancelled his performance due to ill health.

N.O. J & H may not be "Cosa Nostra" (our thing) but it sure as hell is the
general public's thing.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

snip to:. . . Another potential disappointment was averted. Sunday morning,
word was that Fountain¹s doctors wouldn¹t allow New Orleans¹ king of the
clarinet to play his scheduled set. Later that afternoon, Fountain was
tooting Dixieland standards at the Economy Hall Tent.

Still recovering from heart bypass surgery, Fountain opened and closed each
number but retired to a seat by the piano while his band members played
their solos. Fountain may have missed a few notes during his own solos, but
the audience rose and cheered him again and again.

³You don¹t know what that means to me,² he said. ³Four weeks ago, I thought
I was gone.² . . . snip to:

Saturday, festival-goers massed for blocks to hear the funky jams of New
Orleans¹ Dirty Dozen Brass Band.

³We gonna show you what a second line¹s all about,² singer-trumpeter Efrem
Towns vowed before to the band¹s joyful romp through ³Kidd Jordan¹s Second
Line.²

Along with the joy, poignant notes flowed over the once-flooded festival
grounds. Jazz singer-trumpeter Leroy Jones on Saturday sang a bittersweet
³Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans.²