[Dixielandjazz] Re: New Orleans Jazz Fest

Loerchen2 at aol.com Loerchen2 at aol.com
Sun May 7 08:28:02 PDT 2006

Steve,

It's definitely a great party --  good food, lots of music, etc.  The crowds
are down this year, as you'd  expect.  However, there's so little jazz that
they should consider changing  the name to the Overamplified Rock and Whatever
Fest.  Personally, I prefer  the French Quarter Festival, which is free and has
a lot more good local  bands; you definitely get more Louisiana music at that
one.

Economy Hall (where the trad bands  play) is usually packed; this year, it
was only 2/3 to 3/4 full most of the  time.  However, I did hear some great
music there.  Banu Gibson's band  was super as always, with guests Jon-Erik Kellso
and James Alsanders.   The traditional brass bands like Young Tuxedo were
also excellent.  The  tent is a little world unto itself; I see the same people
there every year--both  locals and out-of-town visitors--and it' s like Old
Home Week.

I would say that the best time to come hear  music is French Quarter Fest and
the week following, when lots of musicians are  in town gigging at the local
clubs.  This year was unusual because FQF was  the week before Jazz Fest,
instead of 2 weeks before.  Made it much more  fun for visitors would usually have
to choose between the two  festivals.

Sue