[Dixielandjazz] Turntable question - options

Cholmondeley Edkins chom1ey at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 6 18:25:23 PDT 2006

I hope the Sony has a sufficiently high quality preamplifier circuit to  do justice to your LPs. A lead with 2 RCA plugs at the turntable end  (PRE-OUT) and a mini phone plug to connect to your computer's sound  card should do the trick. You still have the signal going through two  lots of analogue circuitry, though. You may lose some sound quality  unless both are high quality.

  It is best to convert the signal from the cartridge to digital as  directly as possible. I use a Thorens turntable (also 78RPM) with a  good Shure cartridge connected to a good stereo amp with an optical  output into a Tascam CD burner.

  Another option is to use a USB phono preamp which  takes the   signal direct from the cartridge and converts it to digital. Then it  feeds it  into your PC or laptop, bypassing the sound card. I find  that the free program Audacity makes it easy to capture the audio for  editing, separating tracks etc.

  e.g.: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/USBPhonoPlus/

  http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2005/USB-Phono-Plus.html

  happy digitalising

  Chumley

John Farrell <stridepiano at tesco.net> wrote:  Today my new Sony turntable arrived (model PS-LX250H). The sole reason I
bought it was to convert my vinyl collection to CD, so far I have hooked it
into my hifi system using the phono connectors which came with the turntable
and have been enjoying some of my old LPs all afternoon.

Now comes the question - the amplifier on my hifi does not have a jack
socket so how do I connect the turntable to my PC? The turntable has a
built-in preamp, so if I run a phono cable from the turntable to the PC
line-in (using an appropriate adaptor) will that work? At the back of the
amplifier there are a number of pairs of phono sockets with mysterious
labels such as MD/TAPE 2, PRE-OUT and AV/DVD, would any of these be of any
use?

All advice gratefully received.

John Farrell