[Dixielandjazz] Britons Back from our travels to New Orleans and Chicago

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Wed May 3 12:52:05 PDT 2006

We missed most of the DJMLers at the French Qurtr Fest but it was good to
meet up with Pat Cooke who seemed remarkably cheerful despite his  Katrina
experience.

 There's been a lot of criticism (some justified I'm sure) for poor official
support for flood and tornado victims but the energy and optimism of the
people who are getting their lives back together is astounding.  We were
shown  affected areas not just in the city but to the North where tornados
ripped up acres of trees and demolished buildings.  We just saw about 25
miles  of destroyed woodland  with some homes still waiting to be rebuilt
and the problem  seemed massive..... difficult to take in the fact that the
affected area stretches for about 800 miles. Anyway I do hope that the
publicity that comes from the festivals will put Louisiana back centre
stage.  For Tony Davis and me, it was a first visit but we certainly hope to
go again.

We also made a first visit to Chicago and, thanks to a contact originally
made through the DJML (a Steve B posting I think, thanks Steve) we were met
at the airport by Denny Farrell and taken to his place for the night.
Denny's Big Band Showcase is available on the internet, it's also syndicated
but I don't know how that works.  Anyway if anyone wants to hear a couple of
Britons (some of us don't really like "Brits" BTW :-) ) mangling the
language, there's a short interview and three tracks going out on his show
available on line from May 9th  www.dennyfarrell.com  One of the tracks is
from the recording made by the UK band Big Bear Stompers with Jim Maihack
guesting on trombone.

Jude

Judy Eames
Kaminsky Connection