[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland charts

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed May 3 09:42:20 PDT 2006

Joe:  The Holroyde charts are inexpensive and Eric is very fast with sending
you a CD.   Some of the charts are a little hard to follow because they
don't use D.S. and DC's much which on some of them would help a lot.  The
rhythm chord charts depend on the person "knowing" the tune because of all
the repeats back to various sections.  I found that numbering the chord
blocks and writing in repeat signs  helped.  The way that Eric has put the
chords in columns helps but it's difficult on some to tell within a measure
where the chord changes but a couple of times through will fix that.  The
first and second endings are a little different being stacked rather than
sequential and have no repeat signs but they are easy to put in.  Again  a
few times through usually fixes it.

It would take a little time but a pair of scissors and a little glue to do a
paste-up and re copy of the chord charts.  It  might be worthwhile to do
that so they would read more sequential.  I prefer this format  C...  F...
G7.C.

All of the chord symbols are NOT transposed for transposing instruments.

They are well written charts that with a little work can sound very good.
They work from bands that have almost no improv skills to pro bands.

It will take you the better part of a day to print out and tape up the 50
tunes if you do them all.

I put a bunch of these into Band in a Box if you are interested.
Progressions only for the most part.

I would really like to get the Trombone parts in Sibelius so they could be
transposed for Tenor sax.  Sounds like my next project ----
Larry
St. Louis