[Dixielandjazz] Memphis Nighthawks

DnBoy152 at aol.com DnBoy152 at aol.com
Tue May 2 07:25:58 PDT 2006

Peter -  Glad to see your post as I am also a big fan of the  Nighthawks and
your questions prompted me to call Ron DeWar and have a nice chat  with him
yesterday.

Their second album  "The Memphis Nighthawks Live at the  Stabilizer", Golden
Crest CRS4162 was issued by Golden Crest Records Inc., 220  Broadway,
Huntington Station, N. Y., 11746.  Ron does not have any  information on the Company
or if they are still in business, etc.  I could  make you a low tech cassette
tape dub if you wish.

I would suggest you try Gary Alderman, "G's Jazz" in Madison.  He has  lots
of 33's, used, in auctions.  He also may have some video of the  Nighthawks
from the Bix Fest years ago when Iowa Public TV filmed and broadcast  the Fests.
You also could try Bob Koester at Jazz Record Mart in  Chicago.  He has a
large stock of 33's, used and new.

Ron is still living in the Chicago area, doing well, just not playing as
much as he would like.  He is gigging around and not playing much trad  jazz,
giving some private lessons also to help with the grocery bills.  For  anyone
else reading this Ron plays all the saxes and clarinet.

Steve Jensen, Trumpet went on to be the co-leader of the Jazz Members Big
Band in Chicago.  Steve passed away several years ago.

Dave Feinman, Bass Sax went on to own Gatemouth Records and issed a few
sides before selling the label and going into business on the East Coast.   He is
doing well, now playing banjo and just jamming around, not playing
professionaly.

Joel Helleny, Trombone is still in the New York area.  Has issued at  least
one CD under his own name and appeared on many more.  He was on the  soundtrack
of the movie Cotton Club.

Mike Miller, banjo, guitar is the one of the group that never left the
Champaign, Illinois area.  He is still playing around there.  Works in  the
computer business also.

Bob Kornacher, Drums, is still in the St. Louis area, Ron was not sure if  he
was still playing or not.  I don't know if you ever saw them or not, but  Bob
played a vintage drum kit, tacked-head tom toms, etc.  I never saw a  drummer
that looked like he enjoyed playing any more than Bob did.

Peter thanks for allowing me to respond on the Nighthawks, also one of our
favorite groups.  We were fortunate to see them several times in Champaign,
Chicago and here in South Bend.    If you have any more questions  about them,
just let me know on or off the list, perhaps I could answer  them.

Don Boyer
South Bend, IN