[Dixielandjazz] The Army Band gig -- Air Force Musicians

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon May 1 21:19:55 PDT 2006

Folks--
     Amen, Larry.
     Just thought i'd (re)mention the fact that there's an Air Force
musicians' society, which anyone who ever played in an Air Force
band, or who is currently playing in one, is eligible to join.
     Danny Hamilton is the contact (at dannyhamilton1 at cox.net).
There's also a website at http://www.afmusic.org/.  There's a
newsletter, dues (not oppressive), and periodic emails about stuff,
including who joined, who died, list of email-addresses, etc.  Just
learned that one of my favorite people that i served with, Norm
Charpentier (excellent trombonist), just died.  That kind of stuff.
     I've never seen any of the guys i played with at March AFB in
Riverside, California, back in 1967-68, except for my buddy Jim
Jensen in Wisconsin and my former commander Jim Whittenton (now in
Texas), but i appreciate the efforts being made to enable us to stay
connected.  We played a lot of dumb gigs (favorite line: "Who booked
this gig?"), such as the opening of the Little League season in San
Bernardino, a parade in the rain with us and probably 500 kids.  On
the other hand, we had good musicians (because there were few bands)
and a good conductor, played interesting music (at times), flew
around the West (Great Falls, Spokane, etc.), and were not generally
very gung ho.  Played a lot of military parades at various places,
but that was OK. For a year i was the only tuba player in the band,
which was (i believe) right after Jim Kashishian was in it.  Hey, it
could have been far worse: "What did you do in the war, daddy?"
"Played in a band in LA."

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**     "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid
**      than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain