[Dixielandjazz] Re: Sportin' House Professor Blues

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon May 1 19:49:57 PDT 2006

Craig Johnson asks:

Turk Murphy wrote a tune entitled "Sportin' House Professor Blues" Did he
ever record this? Is there any other name used for this tune?
(snip)

According to Jim maihack who played tuba with Turk for 7 years & worked
intermissions at Earthquake magoons for years:

THIS TUNE CAME FROM TURK'S ILL-FATED STAGE SHOW CALLED "STORYVILLE" (I THINK
THAT WAS THE NAME OF IT).  AS FAR AS I KNOW HE NEVER RECORDED IT.  IT WAS
SUNG BY THE WHOREHOUSE PIANO PLAYER NAMED CHAUNCEY WHO WAS ONE OF THE MAIN
CHARACTERS IN THE SHOW.  THE TURK TUNE CALLED "LITTLE ENOUGH" WAS ORIGINALLY
CHAUNCEY'S THEME IN THE SHOW.
JIM MAIHACK