[Dixielandjazz] Re:Analog to Digital (Vinyl to CD)>>Wireless Link

BudTuba at aol.com BudTuba at aol.com
Thu Mar 30 10:44:30 PST 2006

In a message dated 3/29/2006 11:06:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
maxuuu at connexus.net.au writes:

I  believe you can also buy a wireless setup that plugs into your stereo
headphone jack and receives the signal up to 50 metres away, but I
haven't tried that.

Max

Adding a wireless link will limit your upper frequency sound bandwidth  and
lower your quality.  Sometimes real world radio stations will  start to crowd
in on the frequency you choose to set it up for.  You don't  really need the
amplification of your home stereo, so I would recommend just  temporarily moving
the turntable and the preamp which allows you to plug  directly into your
sound card.  You also have the problem of coordinating  the operation...starting
the record function on your computer before  loading up the record, and
turning it off later,etc.  Much easier if  everything is within arm's length.

The wireless device will work OK the other way around.  After  recording it
on your computer, play it back to your stereo system and  listen to it there in
its final form before burning it a CD.  You have the  opportunity with the
computer to improve on the old recording.  Besides  removing scratches and pops,
using volume compression or expansion  or equalization filters will often
make the record sound better  than original.   You need to experiment. Once you
get the final  result that sounds best on your stereo system, then you can burn
it to a CD for  posterity.

I use my wireless link to play stuff off the computer while I'm working
around the property.  I can make my portable radio play what I want to hear  and
it will sure gets the neighbors wondering what station you are tuned  to.  By
signing up with an internet radio service such as _www.Live365.com_
(http://www.Live365.com)  you can play trad jazz  from around the world...even records
you never even owned and bands you never  knew existed.

Roy (Bud) Taylor
Smugtown Stompers Jazz Band
'we ain't just  whistlin' dixie!"
585-415-3985 Cell