[Dixielandjazz] Kenton Mellophoniums

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Wed Mar 29 02:50:18 PST 2006

Pierre Guicquéro, our trombone man, picked up a cheapo DVD with the
Frank Rosolino Quartet on the second half.  On the first part is a TV
broadcast of the Stan Kenton Orchestra from 1962.  Aside from the
standard horn sections, there are the famous (or perhaps, not so famous)
Mellophoniums.  These are modified Mellophones which are sort of
bastardized french horns.  Anyway, upon watching the broadcast, everyone
was mystified by these strange looking instruments.

I knew of the mellophonium because I knew a couple of mellophone players
in college.  Anyway, what I wasn't aware of is the 'scandal' around the
mellophonium.  Perhaps scandal is a hard word, but at least, these horns
were he source of much infighting within the Kenton band.  The
mellophonium was introduced in 1960 and was removed from the lineup in 1963.

This post is for two reasons :

1) to propose a couple of links to those that may be interested.  The
first is probably the most complete on the section and the second is a
page on the BigBandJazz website selling a Kenton CD with audio files
where you can hear a bit of the mellophonium.

http://home.comcast.net/~noel_wedder/wsb/mellophonium.htm
http://www.bigbandjazz.net/new-design/cd_horns2.asp

2) I was curious if Mike Vax had any personal anecdotes around the
mellophonium.  Were you with Kenton 1960-1963?  You aren't listed in the
trumpet section on the above CD.

3)  Ok, there are three parts to this post.  Does anyone have one of
these horns?  Were they made especially for Kenton?

That's all.  All the best, Gary