[Dixielandjazz] Re: Pay for gigs

Laurence Swain l.swain at comcast.net
Mon Mar 27 21:16:58 PST 2006

Steve Barbone, responding to my note (excerpted here) that

> A recent post about the JRM LOC recordings put the price for the full
> set of records in 1947 at $120, and reported that would be about $1000
> in 2006 dollars.
>
> Using the same inflator, the $25 each man in my small combo used to get
> for playing high-school dances in 1952 would be a little over $200 in
> today's dollars.

said, in part:

    We get more than a few 6 piece gigs at $200+ per man every month.

    New Years Eve exceeds $400 per man.

    Every jazz wedding we play exceeds $200 per man. Most private parties we
    play exceed $200 per man and go up from there. (3 hour gigs + dinner etc)

    Club dates/restaurants, steady gigs etc., are usually $150+ per man. (More
    if we work in a trio or quartet)

    Retirement facilities, townships etc., for one hour are a minimum of
    $100/man. Afternoons or weeknights. (These generate the private gigs)

Steve, your skill and hard work in effectively marketing your band has been well-
documented on the list, and I continue to commend you for it..

However, please recall that, back when we got $25 (today's $200) per man, we were 16-
or 17-yr-old kids with about 1-3 years experience playing together at high-school French
Club dances. Not seasoned, experienced pros playing the chamber music I like best.  I
still see a sad picture that I wish I could do something about!

Larry Swain