[Dixielandjazz] From Analog to Digital

Phil O'Rourke philor at webone.com.au
Mon Mar 27 19:00:05 PST 2006

Robert was wrong when he said

 You can't connect directly from the record player or tape player to the
computer.     The two players have to be connected to your audio amplifier.
Then run a patch cord from the amplifier to the back of the computer to an
RCA plug on the computer marked LINE IN.     Then operate your audio system
and the computer will pick it up while it's running.     :-

The signal strength from a tape (reel or cassette) is quite adequate to go
through the "line in" of your sound card. Turntables have a much weaker
signal and must go via a pre-amp at least. There are now turntab;es on the
market (Radio Shak in US I think among others) that have a pre amp included.
If you are going to connect a turntable via an amp make sure that the amp
has a "phono" input. This means the amp has a pre-amp to boost the phono
signal.
A lot of modern audio amps do not have phono input, thus the marketing of
turntables with there own pre-amp.
If you wish to use an older turntable (I have four) via a newer amp with no
phono input you will have to buy a pre-amp seperately.

Remember after you have "cleaned" up the sound on your computer to
"normalise".

I have been producing CDs from black stuff and tapes for about seven years.

Phil O'Rourke