[Dixielandjazz] Re poor group on board ship -StephenHeist'email.....

Stephen Heist steveheist at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 26 08:23:06 PST 2006

Well, they take their chances when they hire - ANYBODY can make a good demo
with today's technology - heck, they've even got pitch correction!  But as
I remember, it was a secretary in the office who showed the guy that hires
the music a publicity packet from her cousin...  But they have an out on
the ships, they have it written in the contract that if there are enough
complaints about an act, they can terminate the contract immediately.
Yeah, the guys in the orchestra are STRICTLY readers, straight out of
college, BUT usually good readers...  and they DO get bored sometimes on
the ships.  They only get to do 3 or 4 shows a week depending on the acts
hired that week.  On one of my ships, the MD sensed that the guys were
getting bored, so he instituted a "jazz jam" night in my bar - interesting
to hear 20 somethings attempting jazz...  some of it wasn't bad...  a few
were very good...  Yeah, let me know what you find out as far as the
caliber of musicianship, I'd be interested to find out...
On the big ships with Royal Caribbean we had a "steel drum" band, a 5 piece
show band, a strolling string trio, the main orchestra and then the "ice
show" orchestra, a solo guitar player, a "Spanish" trio, me, in the Shooner
bar, and I think one or two more bands, there are a LOT of musicians on
these ships...
All the Best,
Steve Heist

You can NOW visit my NEW website and check my schedule at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~steveheist/
Drop on by today!

> BTW, go to Mr. Heist's website (address on his posts to DJML) to hear some
> great piano playing & singing.  He's a show all by himself!
>
> Jim

PS...  Thanks, Jim...  Glad you liked it...