[Dixielandjazz] Re poor group on board ship - StephenHeist'email.....

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Mar 25 10:35:43 PST 2006

Steve Heist wrote...>They (the band) debarked the next day in Miami...

How could such a thing happen, Steve?  How on earth did they even get the
job?  You would think a cruise ship line as big as that one would be able to
get the cream of the crop!

I saw a bit of a series on tv of the life on board one of the Royal
Carribean ships & they showed the dance crew rehearsing.  A trumpeter in the
band spent most of the time the band wasn't playing doing scales!  What a
bore.  You could hear him in the background all the time the dance people
were trying out their steps, etc.  Some guys do that, and tend to do it only
if someone else is around! Trumpeters are the worst for showing off with
scales.  Then, on the break, they put their mouthpiece in the front pocket
of their overly tight jeans & tell you that it is to keep the metal warm!
Yeah, right!

I shall let you know what I think of the caliber of musicians on the ship
(from the same line) that my wife & I are taking in the Carribean in two
weeks time.  (Vacation, not work!)  Steve told me there are about 75
musicians on board the ship (it's a BIG ship!).

BTW, go to Mr. Heist's website (address on his posts to DJML) to hear some
great piano playing & singing.  He's a show all by himself!

Jim