[Dixielandjazz] Narvin Kimball

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Wed Mar 22 15:41:54 PST 2006

I had the privilege of hearing Narvin Kimball play with the Preservation
Hall Jazz Band in Preservation Hall on one of my trips to New Orleans back
in 1977 while I was in grad school in Austin Texas. Percy Humphrey was still
playing trumpet and leading the band at that time. During a break, I made my
way forward to talk to Narvin Kimball, being a young and budding banjo
player myself. If I'm not mistaken, he strung his tenor banjo for left
handed playing, which fascinated me, though I'm a traditional right handed
player.

I remember asking him a question about  what kind of pick he uses. He handed
me his pick, a pretty light nylon one carefully wrapped at the thick end
with adhesive tape to provide a better grip. When I looked it over and tried
to return it, he told me to keep it. I used it and cherished it for years,
but it eventually went the way of all picks. I have since come to appreciate
thicker and harder banjo picks. But I will never forget the kindness and
encouragement of this legendary player to a young kid just getting started.

Elazar Brandt
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble
Jerusalem, Israel