[Dixielandjazz] Narvin Kimbal

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 20 18:20:03 PST 2006

Cebuisle2 at aol.com wrote

>I was truly sorry to hear of Narvin's passing. I had the opportunity to  meet
>him once in Greensboro, N.C. when the Preservation Band played there years
>ago. Never forgot his gracious manner when I approached him after the concert.
>We talked banjos for a few minutes. The man seemed ageless, and always looked
>younger than his years. A true gentleman.

>Hopefully, there are four stringers in the next world for Narvin to  play.

AMEN Ted:

Pete Pepke introduced me to Narvin at a concert in West Chester PA., about
10 years ago. He was still climbing up on a chair to take banjo solos at the
end of the program. We visited backstage, saw him eating a sandwich and
turned around to leave him alone when he saw Peter.

"Pete, you son of a gun come back here." he said as he put the sandwich
down. "Who is the gentlemen you are with?" He would not let us leave without
some very gracious words to Pete and a chat with me and his thanks to both
of us for coming out to see him and the band.

Class act.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone