[Dixielandjazz] Rocking New Orleans Music

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 20 13:15:41 PST 2006

Hey Louis Lince and Gary Kiser, add me to your list of DJMLers who like
bands like Dirty Dozen, Rebirth, Neville Brothers, Dr John, etc. It rocks.
Especially if the drummer knows the "beat" and the Tuba "drives" the band
with a solid, funky bass line.

I'm doing a lot of it in a marching unit these days, in Atlantic City. That
music definitely gets the crowds dancing, second lining, moving around,
mugging and smiling. The only format change we make is to allow more solo
space. It is also great exercise for older players.

Oh yes, Professor Wiggins' St Gabriel unit doesn't suck too very much
either. Especially, I hear, when list mate Bob Romans is on Euphonium.

Visceral, exciting music which certainly fits with my concept of New Orleans
Jazz and successor forms.

Cheers,
Steve