[Dixielandjazz] Musicians In Search Of Discovery (SXSW)

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 20 08:42:55 PST 2006

Steve and DJML--
     Well, Austin got a couple of 'well-known' musicians from New
Orleans (one of the Neville brothers, can't remember off-hand which
one), but hardly any of them do OKOM.
     I haven't been to any SXSW concerts in 15 years, mainly because
of a) type of music, and b) crowds. If they had more jazz i might
venture out, but they don't, and it's so crowded that (like Yogi
said) nobody goes there.  The local papers didn't publish any reports
that i saw of any bands playing anything close to jazz, OKOM, 1920s
songs, etc.  There were a few concerts of "New Orleans" type music
(Dirty Dozen, swamp rock, etc.).  All in all, denizens of this list
would not find much of interest.
     Has anyone besides me (who grew up in Carson City and Reno) ever
been in Pahrump or at the Moonlight Bunny Ranch (outside Carson City;
the Mustang Ranch is outside Reno)?  Places like those do not rank
charitable largesse highly among the activities in which they engage.
If you want to get taken, i suggest your local AF of M.

     Dan

P. S. However, yesterday we had a great (large) and enthusiastic
audience for Jim Cullum's concert in Austin.  Filled the place and
heard some great jazz.  I'm writing a review for www.atjs.org (which
it says here i will start maintaining after i learn how this
web-stuff works).

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**     "Son, you have to guard against speaking more clearly
**      than you think."  --  Howard Baker's father