[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Colored Waif's Home & site in limbo. (Pops was there as a kid)

Rebecca Thompson rebecca.e.thompson at verizon.net
Sun Mar 19 11:10:03 PST 2006

When Jim and I attended the SatchmoFest a few years back, we took a tour
with Tad Jones.  He took us to the site of the Waif's Home, but as I
remember it, the original building where Louis lived was blown away by a
hurricane (before Katerina).  This NY Times story confuses me.  (But then,
that isn't hard!)  Also, the red light district where Louis spent most of
his time as a kid was directly across the street from where he went to
school. It was the district that catered to blacks whereas Storyville
catered to white men.

Rebecca Thompson
Flower Mound, TX