[Dixielandjazz] Practice man practice

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 16 14:29:50 PST 2006

Art Wood quoted Eddie Higgins:

"The ultimate goal for jazz musicians is to  be able to play whatever they
think: to be able to express their ideas instantaneously without being
hampered by technical limitations. The closer to this goal a musician
approaches, the more satisfied he will be with his playing, and the striving
towards this goal is what motivates serious players throughout their
creative lives."

The "without technical limitations" part of that quote means, I think, that
lack of technique will no longer prevent the musician from playing whatever
he thinks. (Solid technique is a necessity in Higgin's view)

Only one way to get that technique IMO. Practice man practice and understand
what it is you are practicing. (Theory)

There are exceptions but they are genius level. Bechet was certainly one of
those rare breeds. He could play whatever he heard from classical to jazz.
He once taught me a tune by blowing the chord arpeggios. Didn't tell me what
the chords were. About 2 years later I came to realize that he probably
didn't know what those chords were.

Most of us mortals cannot do that. So we study theory, either self teaching
or schooled, and we practice and we "hear".

As I see it, no way to play jazz with folks like the San Francisco Jazz
Collective unless you are a genius, or failing that, well taught in theory,
practice a lot and "hear" (which is different from just a lot of listening)

Cheers,
Steve