[Dixielandjazz] Music theory

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Wed Mar 15 14:15:14 PST 2006

I can't help but ask here folks:

Anybody know who Taught LOUIS  Armstrong and Buddy Bolden, Kid Ory, and
Jelly Roll grammar and theory?

Or did they just learn it the same way they and their forefathers who
gave us this music who by hearing it in bits and pieces and then just
doing it ?   Enquiring minds want to know.

I know jazz musicians that can't even spell theory or grammar and yet
they can play their asses off.

my worthless .02 worth again.

Who didn't have that music theory option available to me when I
attended school, nobody was teaching it at my school.

Therefore I did not learn how to play music from a book but then again
I didn't learn how to make love from a book either. :))

And I Love to play just as much as the next guy, "It's a Wonderful
World Indeed"  oops there goes that pesky song a gain :))

Tom Wiggins,