[Dixielandjazz] Re: Set List

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon Mar 13 11:23:34 PST 2006

Jim Kash wrote:

 > My personal feelings are that I don't like
> to make a song list.  Too strict, and doesn't allow the band to mold the
> evening depending on audience reaction, or the band's mood.
>
> I do approach the stand normally with the first 3 songs planned in my
> head,
> based on what we have played on past nights, so as to keep the band
> sounding
> fresh.  Afer that, it is audience & band mood that guides me.
>
> Things I consider when choosing songs "on-the-fly" choosing the next song
> while we are
> playing........
>
> ......."this one is slow, shall we go fast or medium next (or visa
> versa)?,
> we've done two songs based on the 32 bar format in a row, time for
> something
> with a different format, one with breaks maybe?....whoops, two songs in a
> row in Ab, could be boring for the band, better try a different
> key?....looks like a couple of kids in the front might get up & dance if
> we
> do a charleston based tune!....need a vocal next?....what's a good one to
> end up with?...need to toss in a well known tune now!....we did that one
> last nite (no need to repeat so often, can be boring for the band), what
> time is it?, time to build up towards the finish?....etc, etc".
>
> How do others approach this?
(snip)

Personally, most of the time I like to have a set list.  I give the list to
the musicians before the set.  This gives them time to mentally prepare for
whatever we are going to play.  It stops 2 or 3 guys who didn't hear what
you said, saying, "What are we gonna play next?"  If they are reading a
chart, it gives them time to have it pulled so no one is fumbling around
looking for music while the rest of the band & the audience waits.

However, unless we are doing a show, which is carefully crafted similar to
the way Jim states above, I have no problem with changing the order.  I may
do this for several reasons.  Perhaps we get a request.  Maybe I feel that
another song maybe more appropriate at that moment.  maybe a vocal is needed
or maybe we found particular tempo that the crowd is dancing to.  Maybe you
finish a song & the dance floor is full & they are standing on the dance
floor waiting for another song.  If we suddenly break into too fast of a
song, it may discourage them from dancing.

There are many reasons for choosing the next song and the ability to play to
an audience & win them over to your side is a real art.  It comes with many
years of experience.

Rebecca Kilgore was the guest star at the Sacramento Traditional Jazz
Society yesterday.  She put on a great show.  Really wowed the audience.
Played to them just right while at the same time leading them in the
direction she wanted to go.  She is a real pro.

Every crowd & every night is different.

When I played music 6 nights a week for a living, I could always tell when
it was a full moon.

Any pro bartender, waitress or musician could tell you just by the actions
of the crowd, when it was a full moon.  Of course it was easier when you
worked steady in one club.  You got really attuned to the place & could tell
each little change in the audience.

--Bob Ringwald