[Dixielandjazz] Set list

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Mar 13 07:49:08 PST 2006

I like a general alphabetic list because I forget tunes.  I don't like lists
to play from.  One of the guys I work for pulls everything during breaks
which uses up break time.  By the time we put away the old set and he pulls
up a set the breaks over.  He likes to play one tune right after another
where as I like a small break in between so there is time to put away chart
and get up the next, unless there is a crowded dance floor then you want
several up.  There usually isn't a problem if you are using head
arrangements.  I really don't know why he wants to play one after another. I
think that people like to talk between tunes.  One guy I work for is putting
his whole book into five tune sets so that we will play five then take a
very short break to reload.  This seems to be the better solution.  The
problem with pulling up an hours set is that you almost always read the
crowd wrong at some point.  But then again this particular leader does that
all the time.
Larry
St. Louis