[Dixielandjazz] Theory vs. Ears

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Mar 12 09:14:11 PST 2006

I wish the Suzuki method had been around when I was three.  They just called
it playing by ear then and wasn't considered a good thing but kind of less
than.   My point is that so many musicians get hung up on the paper and
thinking too much.  A good example is sex.  Most of us know the science and
the mechanics of it but are you thinking any of that when you are doing it?
I hope not.  There are just some things that get in the way.  You can
analyze it before and after but during spoils it.

Improvisation takes something from our inner core and makes it come out
through the instrument.  Almost all of it bypasses the brain in that we
don't think about it.  Jazz just happens.  Having said that unless you have
control of and are one with your instrument (technically proficient) this
won't happen.  No one can think fast enough to do all the things that need
to be done.  You have to go into a sort of autopilot mode.  If anyone is
interested I could expand a lot on that.

There are a lot of players that are just plain inhibited about turning loose
and letting go especially in the presence of so called better musicians.

This shouldn't be a discussion about theory vs. ears because both are
important but if I had a choice I would take the ear.  I think Theory is
great for the classroom but where the rubber hits the road it can't do
anything without an excellent ear.  You can do good jazz without knowing one
lick of theory.  A bricklayer doesn't need to know why mortar gets hard.

One of the sections of previous posts was the use of Sofeggi.  I studied
this before I could even play.  My first teacher was an elderly Italian man
who I believed worshiped the Pasquale Bona Sofeggi book.  I wish I had
learned it better or taken it more seriously.  I think it's an excellent way
for singers (or anyone) to learn sight singing.  I wish singers knew more
about it.
Larry Walton
St. Louis