[Dixielandjazz] Roy Haynes - a drummer's drummer

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Sun Mar 12 02:42:43 PST 2006

Roy Haynes played Clermont Ferrand's Jazz en Tête festival
(www.jazzentete.com) with his quartet a couple of years ago. Aside from
being an excellent drummer at any age, he was a dynamo in personality.
He is quite short and was sporting a cowboy hat and had everyone in
stitches. He introduced us all to a young sax man (early twenties) by
the name of Marcus Strickland that is to be heard. So impressive was he
that we had Marcus over with his own group the following year.

All the best, Gary