[Dixielandjazz] Controversy

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Fri Mar 10 16:15:52 PST 2006

OK guys & gals,

I think most everyone has had their say on this matter.

Be aware that nobody, at least on list, asked either Tom or Steve to
unsubscribe.  A few confronted Steve onlist with a few statements that they
felt were totally off base.  But, when Steve thought that someone posted
something that he thought was incorrect, he had no problem with pointing
that fact out himself.

As moderator, I have received many complaints about Steve privately from
members who were too polite to say it on list.

I have communicated this with Steve several times over the past one or two
years.  I have never tried to moderate the List.  I simply asked him
politely, to stop posting the same subjects over & over.

When he suggested that he should unsubscribe, I asked him not to.  I just
said, ease off a bit.

I do not think that anyone has posted anything strong enough on-list to
cause either Tom or Steve to resign.  I know I haven't, on or off-list.

Steve & Tom are big boys.  They can do what they want.  The List is
unmoderated.  They may subscribe or unsubscribe, as they wish.

In the meantime, we have over 550 members.  The List was a great List before
they joined & will be a great List if they do, or do not unsubscribe.

In the meantime, I think everyone has pretty much said what they wanted to
say.

I suggest now that we stop beating a dead horse & get on with some
interesting subjects.

It is too bad that this happened.  But, when you are dealing with over 500
people, disagreements are bound to happen.

As Phil Crumley says, "Is this a great List or what?"

--Bob Ringwald
DJML Moderator