[Dixielandjazz] OK - here is some controversy..........

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Thu Mar 9 15:41:02 PST 2006

Thanks Dave, Mike, and Jon.

 And yes Tom is a Booking agent, and a damned good and honest one too.
  He is also a Promoter, and record Producer, and Band leader of some
modest success.
  He has also just been asked by three publications to write columns for
them which he unfortunately had to decline because he simply does not
have the time to keep them up and tour.

  He will also not be so obnoxious on this forum in the future as this
will be the last post he has time to make here as well, I am thankful;
for the wonderful friends I have made in the past few years on this
list, I have tried in my perhaps obnoxious way to share my life
experiences and hard earned music business acumen with the generous
folks on here who also make every bit as many quality contributions. It
is indeed a mostly great list of folks.

  Those good friends that I have made here on have my address and are
welcome to contact me anytime.

  Pissed at Mike Vax, no just a bit disappointed that fine musicians of
his caliber do not Preach to their Choirs in the schools a little more
often and maybe even slap some of them in the head if need be to teach
them something about the music business other than how to play an
instrument and go out and join the throngs of unemployed and often
unemployable ones that they have been churning out of the schools for
so many years.

  The main problem here folks is not a new one, it is that old FORK in
the Road that many musicians face eventually:

  the road to the left leads to the Entertainment industry and often
fame and fortune or at least a decent living as a professional
Player/Entertainer, the road to the right leads to more schooling and
greater musical education and better technicians on their instruments
in many cases. But more often than not it simply leads to teaching and
re-teaching all that you have been taught but that at least in My
opinion does not make them a JAZZ Musician and certainly not an
Entertainer. Many musicians and professors still need to learn that
there is a lot more to being a successful musician than just playing an
instrument and joining a union.

  I was happy to read that a college student on this list is finally
starting to hear some of the things me and old Overbearing Barbone have
been preaching to the Choir with many members who still wish to sleep
thru the Sermons. oh Well!

  For those of you over the years that have expressed thanks off list I
am personally gratified that I was able to impart something that helped
you with your bands or careers from my personal first hand experiences.
I would never stop doing that with or without this list. I find it
interesting that all around the world's Real festivals that I am
fortunate enough to play with my "ROCK Style Band that plays some
Dixieland" that it is and has never been called a Rock Band once but
simply American Jazz. Humm what do they know that we seem to have
forgotten in the good old USA.

  Jazz comes in many styles and continues to reinvent itself as players
of all cultures and genres continue to push the limits just like Jelly
roll and Louis and Bix and all your other hero's did. So I am a bad guy
for doing it and taking Some old tired Dixieland and turning on a few
million ROCK BLUES, & JAZZ FANS WITH IT. Well so far Nobody has ever
asked for the Money Back :))

  Just because your Momma didn't dance and your Daddy didn't Rock and
Roll, please don't hold that against me, one of the kids who could not
buy a job in Dixieland when I started in this business, because Turk
Murphy had the ONLY ONE LEFT in TOWN when I wanted to play it.
Fortunately me and lot of other youngsters went off and made our own
way into the musical world and became reasonably successful at it. And
folks on this list throw stones at old guys like Me and Mick Jagger and
think we are ridiculous to be playing our hard driving dance able music
to people that are still alive and enjoying life to the fullest.

Like Steve often says this music is so easy to play that even Rockers
can play it not to mention 9 year old kids.   So there is nothing wrong
with the music it is just the problems with the players who play
various forms of it which do not conform to the others way of how it
should be played.

  Wishing you all a fond farewell on a daily basis and all the good luck
and health and wealth you can obtain, and for those of you with those
un fulfilling day gigs, try doing what I do and they can be a lot more
fulfilling, Make your day gig booking your night gigs. or vice versa.
Like I do. Yes indeed it can be done, gotta run along now the big
Yellow gig bus just stopped out in front of my house again.

"No more trying to teach a Pig to sing"  it is plain to see that I have
just been "Frustrating myself and annoying the Pigs"

Ya'll got along without me before and you'll git along with out me now.

Musical content:  Walks off singing "Don't Fence me In"
 Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band
Ambassadors of American Culture
1234 Laurel Lane
Lafayette, California 94549 USA
1-925-952-4585  office

 To be sure Wiggins and Barbone are long-winded and sometimes get a bit
  over the top, but my goodness, what treasures their essays are for
anyone
 trying to get a handle on the music business!!!

 As for their occasional obnoxiousness, I remind you that Tom was/is a
 booking agent and Steve was a lawyer who raised horses for
 ammunition--what else do you expect?

 --Sheik
 http://americanmusiccaravan.com

  > I have been lurking while on the road doing clinics and concerts in
five
 > states in the past 8 weeks.
  > So I have a question! Is any one else tired of being put down
constantly
 > by
 > Tom Wiggins and Steve Barbone????????
 > It still seems to me that according to them, none of us are "doing it
 > right."
  > Gee Tom, I'm sorry that I haven't produced big rock and roll albums
and
 > lead
  > a rock type band that also plays some New Orleans Street Beat Stuff,
that
 > does get lots of bookings.
 > And -- I think you are dead wrong about there being no jazz scene in
 > Sacramento. I see lots of things happening there.
  > Gee Steve, I guess I wasn't very successful last year. I only did
about
 > 180
  > dates in 12 states and a few foreign countries, plus booking a tour
for
 > the
  > Stan Kenton Alumni Band and producing a successful festival in
Arizona.